söndag 3 februari 2013

Battling Acne - Good Advices

What could be more frustrating and demotivating than a skin condition that affects your overall looks and self-esteem? Especially something so hard to understand and get under control like acne. Many of us struggle to get to the core of it and fail - various products, diets, pills, holistic approach only gives temporary alleviation but it always strikes back. For the unfortunate ones - even more severe than it ever has been. The depression that often comes along with this disease (or maybe a symptom of an inner turmoil?) is due to the inability to cooperate with your own body, helplessness and the obvious angry signs on our faces - such an important body part which people recognize us by. It inflicts self-hatred and destructive thoughts as we start perceiving our body as an enemy, without realizing that it doesn't try to corrupt our lives - it just asks for help. An obvious sign to change our lives... But how? And why doesn't it help even if we do start living healthier, is it simply too late?
These are the questions I often ask myself. I don't think I have done everything to find out my own reasons for having acne, but I have a very good routine and avoid junk food as much as possible. Pimples do make me feel bad a great deal, but I have found a way to handle it emotionally and got less obsessed about my looks over the years, maybe that's why I'm not wasting so much time going to dermatologists and taking drugs. I somehow feel I can heal myself by living a more active, happier lifestyle.
However, I read a lot about it and try to apply some things to my daily life. At the moment my acne is under control, it doesn't break out as much as it usually does in the period of January-March and I can thank few good advises I got from other people and the almighty Internet.

Things that helped me to battle acne:

- Probiotics (more "good guys" in my gut, better flora)
- Lemon water together with my meals (helps to increase stomach acid and break down foods)
- Gym + sauna. (working out up to 5 times a week have significantly improved my body acne too!)
- Cutting out milk (cow's milk is for the calf. You don't need the hormones and white blood cells)
- Less carbs! (less sugar, rice, pasta and junk food! Empty calories, high blood sugar and insulin spikes might be the major cause of acne)
     

Things that helped me a bit:

- Cell Fusion C B-glucan cellular repair cream ( I have noticed some change in my skin texture, especially on my forehead, but otherwise it's quite insignificant)
- Duac (stopped working, guess my skin adapted to it)
- Exuviance products line (Gentle cleanser and a very good skin serum/moisturizer gives the comfort, but has no effect on acne)

Things that didn't help at all:

- Gluten free diet
- Exuviance blemish control
- Red light laser treatment (for such a huge price I spent on the procedures, I would expect much more significant change in my skin. Totally not worth the money, probably more suitable for mild acne)


Battling acne is a lot about keeping your mind positive. I found that tears and anger makes the inflammation even bigger, so I try to avoid watching myself in the mirror and nourishing the anxiety. Besides I haven't applied any makeup on my skin for a month already (which both benefits my skin and my feeling of self-control. Despite the break outs on my face, I'm gonna go out looking the way I look and not hide my face under a thick layer of foundation).

So keep strong
keep fighting
be active.
   

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar